Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Thursday, March 31, 2005

R. William Hunter

Can friends be heroes? Why not? Bill Hunter would fit that category quite well.

On this day, four short years ago, Bill was promoted to glory. He entered his promised rest in the presence of Jesus. I can imagine the great day on which Bill saw Jesus face to face. Bill knew Him intimately, had trusted his life to His love, and served Him with everything he had. Bill's still smiling that great smile of his.

I don't think I've ever met such an imaginative person as Bill Hunter. He had ideas on his mind that were beyond most of us, but always on track. I suppose he had to use a fair amount of discipline to know when to hold back his ideas for a better time when they'd be understood. The ideas he came out with were cutting edge. He was able to sense the direction of society and planned to be there when the rest of us caught up.

I'm not gifted enough to capture the essence of Lt. Colonel R. William Hunter in the space here. Sometimes, like today, I simply thank God for him. On another day I'll thank Jesus face to face for Bill as well. I'm hoping his wife Barbara and adult children Randy and Jen sense our combined love for Bill. He will always be my friend and a hero.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. " Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)

1 Comments:

Blogger blogblogblog said...

Well said. He was a hero of mine, certainly. I once had the opportunity to thank the Hunters for a retreat they had led. I said that I would drive 500 miles to be present at anything the Hunters did. It still rings true.

Before he passed away, he made a statement that I will never forget. He said, "I'm tired of being clever. I don't want to be clever. I just want to say and to do what God wants me to say and to do." Hero? Definitely.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home