Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Saturday, April 30, 2005

May Day

Tomorrow is the first of May. Growing up, we knew it as May Day, an early spring celebration where kids would dance around the maypole with flowers in their hair. As I rethink it, it's no wonder why that practice has disappeared.

Another meaning of mayday is a distress call for a ship or plane in trouble or in great risk of going down. It still is thought of as a cry for help.

These contrasting concepts speak to the many options we have for today. Each day could possibly go either way...good or bad...or uneventful. Much of the determinant comes from our own intentions for the day.

I have reasons to think of May first as a distressing day, but I'm choosing the celebration...in resurrection strength. I hope you're making good choices today.

This is the day the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 (NIV)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kapten Clark said...

Since my mother's death, I have been trying to articulate a thought that I have a *choice* about how I will respond to it. It doesn't mean I don't cry and I don't miss her, but it does mean I choose to focus on Christ and the power of his resurrection. Thank you for saying it better than I could!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

We're still praying for you and trusting with you for today.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another meaning of "May Day" -- when the Soviets celebrated the Bolshevik Revolution by marching their nuclear weapons and tanks through Red Square. Thank goodness that's over. But over a billion people today still live under Communist oppression who need our prayers and action. Isaiah 61:1b

7:09 PM  
Blogger Berryinteresting said...

May Day has sad memories for me. However, as with you . . . I rejoice this year for new life . . .for spring . . . and for family. Friendships are dear when surrounded by memories -- good and sad. We will always be your friends.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home