Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Picture this...

Majors Ron and Keilah Toy are the corps officers of the San Francisco Yerba Buena Corps. I first met him years ago in New York City when he came with a team from the San Francisco Chinatown Corps to help us open the work in New York Chinatown. Keila might have come as well. I remember him because he was a professional photographer at the time. He had a lens on his camera that spanned a wide area to make extraordinary panoramic photographs.

My next encounter with these faithful Salvationists was a visit to their Asian-American corps which had just opened, sharing a building with the Chinatown Corps. I seem to recall that Keilah team taught the Sunday School class that day. I was impressed and blessed.

Tonight I find the Majors Toy tending the Yerba Buena Asian American Corps and capably hosting the National Advisory Board. For this I praise God and worship Him in celebration. He has been faithful to them...they have been faithful to Him. It's how the Spirit of God works well.

Picture a photographer and his wife serving God as officers with their whole hearts and you will see the grace of God in Majors Ron and Keilah Toy. It's a lasting pose.

"John answered, 'It's not possible for a person to succeed—; I'm talking about eternal success— without heaven's help. '" John 3:27 (MsgB)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the piercing line from Ken Medema's song retelling Peter's change from fisherman to disciple when he sings that by Galilee Jesus calls him to 'leave the paltry plans you've made."

Just this week I met a Baptist man - formerly a prosperous entrepreneur - now working full-time with juvenile offenders. He has no regrets.

I'm sure Ron and Keila Toy wouldn't change a thing - moving from 'paltry' photography to being fishers of men in the China Seas.

God bless them!

RJMunn

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

In the same way, I sometimes beleive the joy in following Jesus is not so much a sacrifice as it is a joy.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home