Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Good Books

While taking a box of books over to the SFOT today, it occurred to me that I was saying good bye to some good friends. I know these texts are inanimate, but in a curious way I have developed an appreciation for them. As I read, I mark the margins and sometimes speak out loud to the pages. They speak to me...and sometimes I speak to them...in a friendly sort of way.

I recall when I bought them and where. I remember in some cases where I was when I read the book in not only a geographic way. These are for the most part, good memories, not to mention the actual value the books have had on my life and ministry.

What are you reading? I just finished, "Leading From The Second Chair"It was great...and came at a perfect time. You?

Acts 17:3 (MSG)
3 "He opened up the texts so they understood what they'd been reading all their lives: that the Messiah absolutely had to be put to death and raised from the dead-—there were no other options-—and that this Jesus I'm introducing you to is that Messiah."

9 Comments:

Blogger Allison Ward said...

Hey If your not doing anything Saturday night you should come on down to Railton Hall! We are have a Be A Hero Fund-raiser. There will be sining, dancing, acting, brass band! It is going to be an AWESOME night! It starts at 5pm in Railton Hall if your interested :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

I’m reading “Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures” by Eddie Gibbs & Ryan K. Bolger. It’s a great book. If you haven't already, I recommend checking it out.

Also, Ryan Bolger has a blog at http://thebolgblog.typepad.com/

Blessings,

Bret

12:10 AM  
Blogger Dave C said...

I just finished the new Wm. Booth bio by Roger Green and now I'm working on "Soldier Saint".

Green's book was great and I have only read a couple pages of Solider Saint, so I can't really comment on that one yet.

In His Grip,
Dave

7:09 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I have just have just finished, Brian McLaren's "Generous Orthodoxy" and Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz"

For the last 10 years I have been wading through "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonheffer. Everytime I think I have a passage down. The Lord just pierces my heart again with this book.

11:03 AM  
Blogger bedemike said...

I'm into "1776" right now but fairly recently finished a re-read of P. Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace." Always a timely, provacative word there, like anything else from Mr. Yancey. Next up - Larry's recomendation, "Generous Orthodoxy."

Coincidentally, Chief, I have an old book of yours I picked up at a book fair at the SFOT when I was a cadet. It was a gift from someone to you - I'll name neither the title nor the giver, lest they should read this & take offense to your cavalier attitude toward their generosity :-)! I'll vouch for your reading it, though - your notes are in the margins!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Carroll said...

I Just finished "Blue Like Jazz" and now I am tearing through "searching For God Knows What" Donald Miller is refreshing

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

These are some good references. I have read some of them as well. Keep reading and praying and living in holiness.

8:19 PM  
Blogger HS said...

Giving books away? NO!
Anyway, I'm struggling through Volf's Exclusion and Embrace, partway through Newbigin's The Open Secret, and revisiting Brueggemann's, the Prophetic Imagination. My head is swimming . . .

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Now that's a list. I just gave the Newbigin book to my son at the SFOT in a box he'll share as a fund-raiser for his session. I have five more boxes to donate...Time to reduce.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home