Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans' Day

I spent two years in the US Army and am a better person for it. I don't think I thought so at the time, but it's true. I sowed some oats and got a few things out of my system in those days in the anonymity of the military.

Today I honor my step father, Roy Grimm who was a First Sergeant in WWII. He was married to my mother for 17 years before his promotion to glory. We miss him. When he asked to marry my mother, he agreed to becoming a Salvationist. He said in his own style, "No problem. I became a Methodist for my first wife."

He was a true soldier. He became the Corps Treasurer at Buffalo Citadel and transferred to Conway, SC when they moved south. He was a terrific Salvationist, often challenging leadership to stand up for the right thing, no matter the cost.

I would have shared a foxhole with Roy Grimm. Now that he's with the Lord, I'll share glory with him down the road.

2 Timothy 2:4 (TEV)
2Ti 2:4 "A soldier on active duty wants to please his commanding officer and so does not get mixed up in the affairs of civilian life."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bThank you Jim...I remembered you and Rick both giving tine to our Country as well and you have my salute!!! I pray for my grandsons now, Robert, Scott and Mike...Mom

5:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That was a nice tribute.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home