Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Summer

Today has brought thoughts of the lazy days of summer. For me, it just feels good to relax a bit and soak in the beauty of summer in the USA. Of course, Floridians aren't enjoying summer today with Hurricane Dennis on their shores. We each have opportunity today to celebrate in relaxation or to be challenged with faith testing circumstances.

Which of these are yours?

I'm glad for a summer day here.

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philip. 4:12-13 (NIV)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

London last week was strange. I stayed in Denmark Hill and travelled across the city to the Mennonite Centre to do a course. The effect of the bombs was to scare us a bit, - the lights went out on the underground, and I was moved around by the staff as the security alert scaled up rapidly. Eventually I got to my destination. But it left six of us stranded overnight in Highgate - so the Mennonites kindly put us up with blankets and spare mattresses. We spent a fascinating long long evening as a group listening to one of the church conflict researchers talking about his work, and I had the gift of hours to spend in their peace library. At dawn, I was out in the beautiful old garden of their big victorian terraced house, prayer-walking their labrynth in the utter peace of a summer early morning. Huge old trees, straggly rosebushes, and a lovely soft lawn, with the labrynth carefully grown in the grass. It was a peaceful summer morning, while people were working underground in the carnage a few miles away and while relatives waited in anguish for news. All we could do was pray, so we did, fifteen of us along with the Mennonite community and staff, and the course leaders. And then we got on with the hard work of learning mediation skills. It felt beautifully defiant. May your summer be more peaceful!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks for your experience and comments, Lana. We're praying for a better summer for you as well in the UK.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home