Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

EDS

Emergency Disaster Services is the name we give to those courageous people who have been laboring to rescue and support victims of disasters. Even now our representatives are still working hard in Katrina relief and other similar efforts around the world.

I'm beginning to think of EDS as EDM. That is to say...Emergency Disaster Ministries. From what I hear, that is what is taking place. Just yesterday, I was told of one of our EDS angels leading a service recipient to Christ. Hallelujah!

Sure, there is a time for feeding the hungry, mopping out a mud-filled basement, and just being there to support disaster victims, but my heart is stirred when one of them comes to Christ. Yes, the whole effort can be understood as leading people to Christ.

Perhaps we would not be as well received if we called it EDM, but it doesn't mean our service is limited in any way. It may be a moment at which we should intensify our efforts in EDS.

Matthew 25:40 (Phillips NT)
"And the king will reply, 'I assure you that whatever you did for the humblest of my brothers you did for me.'"

5 Comments:

Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

I always felt we should call Social services: Practical evangilism. But people who don't know they need Christ probably wouldn't want the help then. We have so many opputunities as Salvationist to be salt and light.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I agree with the EDM idea. I think we need to be unapologetic, but not in your face about our message.

I love the great quote by St. Francis, "Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary use words." I think that is the beauty of the positioning of the Army in postmodern culture...Spiritually hungry people will be drawn in this culture by great acts of kindness..

I am not convinced, as some, that there is a strong anti-Christian bias. My thought is that people are turned off by extreme ultra-conservatism. This take on life often turns into a judgemental, cynical attitude. Next-wave ezine has a great article on this subject this month.

The beauty of the Army in its roots is that we are not a judgemental people, but people of compassion.

"Except I am moved with compassion,
How dwelleth thy Spirit in me?"

I think compassion is the heart cry of the Father for His people.
I think that is why people will be influenced to follow Jesus by those working EDM.

9:07 AM  
Blogger bedemike said...

I was at a conference a few years ago where one of the presenters showed a facinating home video. He had gone to a local university campus and asked random people two questions: "What do you think of when I say 'Jesus?'" and "What do you think of when I say 'Christian?'" The responses to the former were love, peace, healing, etc. The responses to the latter were hypocrite, judgemental, closed-minded, etc.

My point is - one of our biggest tasks seems to be changing the perception of what a Christian really is. We in the Army - through EDM, social ministries, etc. - are in a prime spot to do that.

Great word, Chief (and Lary & Carole!).

11:44 AM  
Blogger Soulpadre said...

Emergency Disaster Services is our next "donut", and if we miss the opportunity by mothballing equipment and redeploying personnel, well....

12:46 AM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

We're touching something very important here. Let's believe we're touching the wave!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home