Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Kettle ministry

From the Online Ledger, Lakeland, Florida
Published Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Suspect in Salvation Army kettle robberies found dead

The Associated Press, TAMPA, Fla.
"A former auto-repair shop owner suspected of robbing several Salvation Army bell ringers was found dead in his car at the bottom of a creek near the Hillsborough River, police said Tuesday.

The body of Lee J. George, 41, was pulled from the submerged car Monday afternoon. George, who was identified through fingerprints, matches the description of the robber provided by witnesses, police spokesman Joe Durkin said.

The car found in the creek, a stolen Buick Century, is believed to be the one used in four robberies and one attempted robbery of Salvation Army donation kettles in Pinellas County last week.

Police divers also found near the car a bottle of liquor and two pill bottles with small amounts of marijuana inside, Durkin said. The crash may have been alcohol related, he said.

George, who formerly owned a Corvette shop, had a drug problem and a criminal record for car theft, burglary and other offenses going back 20 years, according to police and court records. He had no permanent address.

Detectives in Pinellas said they believe the spree of Salvation Army robberies was fueled by George's drug habit."

This is a horrible story. What if the kettle workers were so full of the Spirit that their witness would have reached Mr. George and led him to Christ? Some kettle workers are prepared and praying for just these opportunities. Maybe one of them did witness to him and we simply don't know.

We must be so prepared and available so when the Spirit sends one of these souls to us, they will benefit by a meeting with the living God.

2 Timothy 4:2 (MSG)
"so proclaim the Message with intensity; keep on your watch. Challenge, warn, and urge your people. Don't ever quit. Just keep it simple."

4 Comments:

Blogger Rismas said...

What strikes me about this story is that after reading that the kettle stealer was found dead, at the bottom of a creek, no less, somehow I actually expected or hoped I might read that this wretched thief got what he deserved. It triggered a reaction in me that said "Good for him! He got what what was coming to him!" I don't watch a lot of movies, but Hollywood seems to have conditioned me to get a feeling of satisfaction when "bad guys" get their just deserts (but I can't blame Hollywood - it's my own sinful nature). I suspect that many, upon finding out what happened to this guy, will feel the same way. However, instead of rejoicing over what seems to be the punishment of a sinner and natural consequences for his actions, as Christians we are exhorted to do all we can to reach out to them with God's love and forgiveness - and before it's too late! The Bible tells us that there will be rejoicing in heaven over a sinner who repents. How the father welcomed the prodigal son home! He ran to him while he was still a long way off! Lord, forgive me for times when I have failed to feel compassion towards those you gave Your Son to die for. But for the grace of God, there go I. Am I like the unforgiving servant, who after being forgiven a huge debt, has no pity on others? Am I like the older son in the parable of the prodigal son, who did not rejoice when his brother came home, but instead was angry when he received mercy instead of punishment? Thank You Lord for this reminder that I too, am a sinner saved by grace, and that it was Your great love and mercy that transformed me and gave me a new birth into a living hope. Help me to reach out in compassion to the lost, hurting, and "sinners" in this world, with the love that flows from You.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks fearless...good question.

rismas: Your message is powerful and right. Thank you too.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Christin ><> said...

I was robbed at a kettle out in Cincinnati when i was a young teen standing by myself playing my horn. I remember how frightened i was -- more frightened of what the corps officer would think/say than of actually having the ketle stolen! oh the logic of a 13 year old!!!!

It taught me a lesson though -- being aware of surroundings and being vigilant in watching the kettle.....it may have taught me too well, because when I was in training school, Captain Alberto Suarez decided to play a prank on me while i was standing kettles in NYC....he snuck up behind me while i was talking to a donor and tried to grab my kettle. What he didn't reaize was that i still had my eye on that pot, and when i saw a black coat sleeve and black glove reach around my back and latch onto that kettle, I whipped around and let him have it. I decked that poor guy.

He never pulled any more practical jokes on me......for some reason ! :-)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks, J/A. Nail on the head.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home