Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Monday, December 05, 2005

Foundations

I visited with a good friend recently who asked me to identify certain foundational concepts that help in my faithwalk. One of the first things that came to mind was the covenant Carolyn and I made with God at the altar in the beginning of our calling as officers. We understood that He wanted us to accept the plans of TSA as His will for our lives.

Not everyone has understood their calling this way, nor should they, necessarily. Our calling was personal and designed for us. It means that we believe we are exactly where God wants us to be. I don't mean to suggest that we are divinely perfect in our roles, but that these roles are His idea. The whole concept has freed us from wondering day to day, or even after farewell orders, if this is what we should be doing. It has also set us free when the time comes to move. We know we have no reason to insist in any way that we should stay longer or leave sooner. This covenant has given us great strength in serving as best we can, right where we are.

I know I must reiterate that not everyone can accept such an understanding. That's OK. I'm happy for you. It neither means that I'm thinking of moving. It means I trust God for my whereabouts and whatabouts.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

5 Comments:

Blogger Kapten Clark said...

One of my favorite Brengle quotes is "to be anything or nothing, go anywhere or stay anywhere, for Jesus" (from good ol' "Helps to Holiness").

To "go" or to "stay" -- it is all in God's hands.

I think that oftentimes it is difficult for those on the outside looking in to understand what freedom this gives to officers. Freedom within covenant.

Maybe some people think that being married is giving up some level of freedom, but of course the freedom within the relationship of marriage is one of the greatest freedoms there can be! It is similar, I think.

Anyway, your words were appropriate to my situation today, and I am grateful for them!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Susanne and I have several instances in which we can say with certainty that was where God wanted us to be. God is awesome in ways that are impossible for us to understand. God's plan for our lives are awesome and we should look for His plans in every decision that we make in our lives.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Thanks for your insight..I tend to agree except that I think that the covenant means faithfulness...but not the end of dialogue with the Lord and those in spiritual authority. Is it possible that those who must or should move along (or not as the case might be)would be stronger by on-going, intentional pastoral dialogue?

I think covenant is a living, breathing relationship where we should feel free to engage all concerned in dialogue for the strengthening of our calling and ultimately the Kingdom. Deeper understanding often leads to deepening commitment and faithfulness.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Allison Ward said...

Hey that is one of my favorite verses... I allways refer back to it when I feel lost... Thanks for the reminder!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Most often, as in the case today, I'm blessed by the comments given. There's more to say on this subject. I hope we can open the door again if from a different launching point.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home