Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Margins

The ministry of TSA is very much to the marginalized of our world. Often these people are those who are poor, victimized by their surroundings, destitute, addicted and generally under-represented by society at large. They have needs which we can provide in the name of Jesus and we do so gladly.

The title of this posting is about a different margin. It is the space we need to guard in our lives in between the scheduling, working and chores of our existence. It is the area we need to catch our breath, rest, play, and refresh. Sometimes we need the space so we have time for the unexpected or even the emergencies of life.

Now I would admit I am preaching here to myself as well, but we need margins and we need them bad. Is it too obvious to state that we’re little use to God or anyone else if we are ragged from being over committed?

Matthew 11:28 (Phillips NT) 28 "Come to me, all of you who are weary and over-burdened, and I will give you rest! Put on my yoke and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

3 Comments:

Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

A word I needed to hear today. Thanks.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I have committed myself over the last few years to really finding balance. It is not easy. Sometimes it is paid lip service, but not really looked on as holy in our organization, because we are doers.

Someone once said "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." I pray everyday that God will help me to know when to spend the right margin time. I never want my service or spiritual life to grow old.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Soulpadre said...

This concept of margin, from the book of the same name, is a source of conflict for inveterate activists like ourselves. However, with many of the officers I know, margin-keeping as a lifestyle is needed as to avoid personal and emotional collapse. Why is it that thoughts and ideas like "sabbatical" and "personal leave" sound like "cowardice" and "taking a hand off the plow?"

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home