Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Monday, January 30, 2006

Torture

Front Line Dilemma
Christians in intelligence services are conflicted over the use of torture.


Sometimes I refer to a Christianity Today magazine article. It happens to be one of the few e-mailings I receive regularly. This article really caught my attention and troubled me. The article, which you can read by the above link is well written and presents a particularly fair approach to the subject. I just don't get it.

I'm glad they're conflicted. But let me tell you, there's no conflict in my mind or in my heart. I understand this is war (against terrorism) and I understand these are their methods. These are not the methods of Christ.

Luke 6:27 (MSG)
27 "To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.

1 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

AMEN. We should and must be tough in our questioning of people who mean to do us harm. I think that torture crosses the line. It certainly would not be the way of Christ, who by the way, was very tough in His questioning of authority and those who meant to do harm to others through their religious positions.

Even in the Old Testament, once enemies were subdued, the Children of Israel were instructed by the Torah to live in peace with their neighbors.

Jesus told us to love our enemies, not necessarily give them a pass. Paul also reminds those who grew up in the brutality of the Empire of Rome to "Overcome evil with good" Romans 12:21

Thanks for your post.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home