Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Friday, July 22, 2005

Corps Team

Somehow the caption of this blog seems redundant. A corps is a team. There are, though, those occasions when the core of the corps doesn't function as a team. This is a disappointment to God.

I'd prefer not to be specific here, but rather just make a note that our corps will only function to the glory of God when everyone in the corps leadership is in holy synchronization. Misconceptions about the basics of corps operations lead to unsteady relationships and minimize mutual trust. We can't afford that.

All I ask today is that we each take a fresh look at our corps team and align our expectations and demands in light of God's love and hopes for us. If you believe yourself to be victimized by such, trust God for the victory. He has a way...He is the way.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35 (NIV)

4 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

Tell me there is somebody out there doing research into congregational conflict in TSA? Somebody? Somewhere? Am searching here as I would love to research it in UK with a view to deepening our understanding of how to better transform conflict.
There's gotta be someone! Surely? Am I on my own? gulp....

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

I am not aware of any disciplined study on this. I have come across a good reference that a church is using in our neighborhood and will post it on this page when I get the name from my office. Please let me know if you discover anything else in your quest.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

Many thanks, I would appreciate all information. I'm applying to do a masters by research into conflict in SA corps, but it is early stages. It might prove too difficult practically and financially, but we'll see. I think I would be trained by distance and supervised in US, but researching in UK. It sounds enormously fascinating anyhow, so long as it comes up with some useful insights. It is exciting to see that training in church conflict mediation seems to be taking off in the SA here. No doubt research will follow!

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting subject and there is that word "team." I am not a true fan of the word "team" for a couple of reasons. One, it has a "me" in it. Which sadly sometimes shows in what the "team" is to be about doing, the "me" person takes control, not the lead, but control. Secondly, is there a sport that comes to your mind that only carries one player for each position? Let's see, Baseball, seems as though there are 2 first, second, third basemen, outfielders etc. There is an internal competition for the starting line up!
I like to use the word "cast" to identify what we are to be doing. You see in order for any play, musical, even movie to come off right all members of the cast have to play their part to the best of their ability. I know you are saying, there are people who back up these lead players! But they know they are not the lead and their part is as important as the lead and they must fill it to the best of thier ability! I believe that if we look to Scripture, 1Corinthians 12:12-30, this makes it very clear what the Corps body of Christ is to be about!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home