Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Holiday tears

Having attended the funeral service for Major Betty Miles today, Carolyn and I are reminded of the many for whom Christmas was so very difficult. It certainly was for this wonderful family who lost their wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend. Great words were spoken today and we sensed the presence of God. He knows and we know that in the midst of it all, our hearts are just broken.

And such was the case for many folks we each know who have lost loved ones recently and not so recently.

We know the Holy Spirit is the Comforter. He is not imaginary or missing. The pain involved in our losses is a reminder of our deep, abiding love for those who are now gone. God comes to us in these moments not to erase our feelings but to support our confidence in His holy presence and plan. We are only separated for a short while and will know a sweet reunion on the other side.

Joshua 22:4 (MSG)
4 "And now God, your God, has given rest to your brothers just as he promised them. You're now free to go back to your homes, the country of your inheritance that Moses the servant of God gave you on the other side of the Jordan."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some months ago I was struggling with a message for a funeral for a very young child. I must have started and stopped a million times with the right words. On the way home that evening, the radio played this song from the Los Lonely Boys, “How far is Heaven?” God spoke to me very clearly in this song, to the point where I had to pull over and write down the thoughts in my head. I rest in the fact that God sends the Holy Spirit to provide that amazing comfort in times like these! I close with the final line that the Lord gave me for that special child’s funeral that I gave to his family, “I don’t know how far Heaven is, but our Heavenly Father and family and friends are waiting for us. Let us not disappoint them, claim the gift of eternal life today!
John 16:7 (KJV)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Betty Miles was an adult who invested in a young kid in the dishroom at Camp Swoneky.

I am grateful for her investmen in ME!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

The Miles conducted our first audit. My wife was incredibly nervous, and Major Dan took advantage of that to intimidate her a little bit at first. He did this as he gave me a wink telling me not to worry.

Major Betty assured my wife that everything was fine and to not be intimidated by her husband. It was a great day with some "elders of the Army." Elaine and I learned a lot from them that day.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home