Chiefspeak

Salvation Army dialogue. Now posting at: http://www.TCspeak.com/

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Southern Territory, Australia

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Year in the Arts: 2005

Here's some more best of 2005:
From the pages of The Times, the best in arts and culture from 2005.

Now these are not from an Evangelical perspective, but interesting, none the less.

We are very much influenced by our culture. It's really quite inevitable. We should, however, be influencing our culture more than we are so influenced. I love it when a store clerk is surprised that an honest customer doesn't take advantage of a cashier's mistake. I love it when the Christian neighbor will shovel or plow the neighbor's sidewalk after a winter storm. I love it when a discerning adult slips a $20 bill into a college student's hand just because. I love it when you get a note from a friend not seen for a number of years to tell you that you positively impacted their life.

Let's be a part of changing the world in 2006. We could be known as Christian influencers.

James 2:1 (MSG)
1 "My dear friends, don't let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith."

3 Comments:

Blogger Christian said...

Chief, Foxnews.com just listed some "good news of 2005. It was heartwarming except for the White Sox winning the World Series.

Being the Yankee fan that I know you are, you might share my sentiment on that particular subject.

The link is as follows.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180139,00.html

9:12 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

As I read your post, I am impressed that the way we change the world is through relationships, not protests, lawsuits and other forceful acts. Unfortunately, I think one of the ways culture has influenced the church is to make us combative against the symptoms of a society gone awry.

I am thinking the best way to combat sin is to engage a sinful world in relationship, not excusing sinful acts, but not acting combatively toward them. Love will always win. I think that is what Jesus might have done. In fact, I think his humbling himself even unto death on a cross was the ultimate act of influence on a power-hungry world.

I think instead of using force, I agree we should be gaining influence through love and compassion.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks for the reference ctnyyfan.

Larry: Where were you during the crusades? and the sixties? we're glad you're here...now.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home